Monday, October 5, 2015

Generation Beauty 2015 New York City — NYC, Jouer, Tarte, MakeUp ForEver, Mally, Skin Inc, Jesse's Girl, Gallany, Dermae, London Soho NewYork etc.


Generation Beauty is beauty convention put together by ipsy to allow people to explore, and get to know new brands, get makeovers, try products, meet and greet cosmetic brand founders, and youtube artists.  I bought the early bird tickets in June, with great expectations for this convention!  In this post, I will share my thoughts, and experiences, all while giving a run-down of everything.


1. How it works
Before you attend, you have to register, and I would suggest registering early (the day before), because on the first day, I was half an hour late, and there was a giant line for registration!  Thankfully I registered early thought.  When you register, you get a badge to wear around your neck, and a floor map with "coupons" that are redeemable at each brand's booth.  Usually the tickets are for a free product offered by the brand.  You do have to wait on lines though because there are so many people, and only so many brand representatives.

There are also meet and greets with youtuberes, and brand founders.  I wanted to see Michelle Phan, but I didn't get a chance to—and to be honest, I had no idea where she was supposed to be!  People did get to meet her though, I just had no clue where.

At the end, you redeem the daily coupon for a swag bag full of stuff from each brand!  There is one for each day, for a total of two bags.  The first day and half of the brands, and the second day had the other half of the brands! I posted a picture on this article of everything I received!

2. Brands
There were so many brands at this place!  Each brand had a booth (some bigger, or smaller than others) which was decorated according to the brand's image, and many booths offered free services like hair styling, makeovers, and even hand massages (Moroccan oil)! Here is a list of the brands that attended:
  1. It cosmetics √
  2. Make up For Ever  √
  3. Benefit Cosmetics
  4. Tarte √
  5. Crown Brush
  6. Formula X
  7. Essence
  8. Belif
  9. Skinn Dimitri James √
  10. Eva NYC √
  11. Marc Anthony
  12. Kloraine
  13. Jesse's Girl √
  14. Jouer √
  15. Moroccan Oil
  16. Skin Inc √
  17. London Soho New York √
  18. Cover FX
  19. Bliss
  20. Clear Start
  21. Temptu √
  22. Dermae √
  23. Gallany √
  24. EuroPerfumes
  25. Mally √
  26. Ofra √
  27. Pur Cosmetics √
  28. NYX √
  29. Trestique √
  30. Laura Geller √
  31. Elizabeth James Nirvanna
As you can see, there were so many brands!  Unfortunately, I couldn't hit them all, but I marked the ones that I did with √.
The most notable brands, which I liked so much were Jouer, It Cosmetics, Laura Geller, Makeup for ever, Tarte,  and Dermae.
I liked Jouer because the people working there were so amiable, and the care that they put into product presentation.   I received a microfiber pouch with two eyeliners (that came with an eye pencil sharpener), a portable eyelash curler, 4 necklaces, 2 rings, a pair of earrings, and a really cute, super mini lipgloss in rose glisten.  It felt like they really cared about their fans, and about making a good impression based on what they gave out.  I've tried their products since then, and I'm sold!  Their products are really high end—their made so well.
It cosmetics was a pretty crowded place, but the lines moved relatively fast.  They gave everyone a makeup brush, and then when the makeup artist applied cc cream, and under eye concealer, they gave you a little organza bag with deluxe size samples of the products!  There was even an interactive video booth, which you could send to yourself, and post on social media.  Their representatives were all very nice too!  I tried their products, and I'm sold.  I love the coverage their bye bye under eye concealer offers, and their mascara is phenomenal.  It has a thin applicator that really defines my lashes.  I'll be buying from them.
Make up forever had one of the longest lines, it took me about an hour, but it was okay!  All the make up artist were very amiable.  After they matched your skin tone to a foundation, you received a wrist band which meant you had to fill out a survey, and once you filled out a survey, you received their full size HD foundation in your skin tone!  The makeup artists were nice, but the people giving out the surveys were a little curt, but it is understandable.  The overwhelming number of people they were dealing with would make anyone a little crazy.  Besides that, the foundation is like magic in a tinted bottle!  I'm not a fan of chemicals in makeup (and I'm sure this stuff has tons of it), but I'll make an exception.  My skin looks flawless in this, and it last a long time.
Tarte has a really long line too.  You received a full size translucent setting powder of theirs, and you could buy their products at pretty much half off!  I bought this double ended foundation brush and their 12-hour poreless primer.  I'm such a tarte fan because they use more naturally derived ingredients, not so many chemicals.
Dermae had a small, and cute booth; their representatives were so nice, and kind.  They explained their brands goal, and that they use natural ingredients in their skincare.  I received a tote, and their toner when I redeemed their coupon.  Also, I got a skin analysis, and they recommend products based on your skin concerns.  They were so helpful, and knowledgable; I'm definitely going to be buying their skin care for now on!
Laura Geller had such a cute booth!  They had a makeup artist giving makeovers, but I just redeemed my ticket for times sake.  They gave you the option of a pink, or berry lipstick gloss, and I chose the pink one.  They also had a giveaway where you had to post a picture of their booth, tag them, follow them etc. and they would choose a winner the next day at 5pm.  I thought it was really cool of them to have such an amazing contest!  The prize was two gift bags full of their products!  I didn't win, but I did try some of their products, and they are amazing!
Some other brands I liked were trestique, and eva nyc, but I like the previous brands I mentioned more.
I did not receive any samples from tréstique, they did run out I think so instead they explained their products to me and gave me a lovely make over.
Eva NYC also ran out of samples, so I just got my hair done, and the stylist was so nice.  He was cordial, and explained every product he used in my hair.  He gave me a gorgeous snake braid!
At Nuxe, I had to take a "what parisian are you?" quiz, and then I had to take a picture and post it to instagram with their hashtags.  I received a full size body oil of theirs!  I really love it—it makes my skin so supple and smooth, I'll definitely be checking out their stuff.
Ofra made me follow some people, and then I could pick out one of their liquid lipsticks.  I picked Sunset beach, which is a bright orange-pink shade.  This stuff is long lasting, and very pigmented!
Gallany gave me a full size mascara of theirs, which I haven't tried yet, but it is packaged in this beautiful rectangular, silver tube.
NYX had a team of make up artists that were giving people make overs, but I didn't have time to get one, so instead I just redeemed my ticket and received a brown lipliner.  I'm not sure what I'll do with that color though!
I went to Pur, and I don't think they had anymore of their redeemable sample, because they didn't collect our ticket, but instead tried to sell us their product and gave us a very small little primer sample.  All the sample being given out were either deluxe size, or full size, but this was more of a tiny trial size sample.  That was disappointing because we waited in such a long line!
Jesse's Girl was offering free nail painting, and nail art, but I only redeemed my ticket.  They gave an organza bag with two nail polishes, an eyeshadow and a little eyelid primer.  They had such a nice little gift bag, but the colors were outrageous!  I got a bright orange, glitter nail polish, and a bright green eyeshadow.   I like the blue nail polish they gave me, and the primer is nice—it has the same texture as NARS' eyeshadow primer.
Skin Inc showed everyone how their peel works, and what their products are like.  They gave us a small, cute sample of one of their serums, and then gave us a tube to fill up with colored chocolates!
Mally had a super cute pink booth!  They were giving out travel size eyeliners and you got to choose the shade.  I took a silver one!  They also had a team of makeup artists, and I got my makeup done there.  There was also a cute Photo Booth where they printed out the pictures for you, and you could send them to yourself to upload on social media. I really like the eyeliner, it is so smooth and pigmented!  I'll check out some more of their products!!
London Soho NewYork was giving out a set of makeup bags!  They were even having an instagram contest where you had to take a picture with your bags, follow them, do the hash tags etc.  The prize was literally a wagon full of their stuff.  I didn't win, but I saw the girl who did!  She was walking around with the wagon all day!
Temptu was giving out small lip glosses.  They were also airbrushing everyone with their system.  I went with my mom on the first say, and she ended up buying one of their systems since it was slightly discounted!  It is a cool concept, it applies a layer of makeup with build-able coverage.
Skinn Dimitri James was taking photos of people, and printing them out, sort of like Mally's booth except not as 'professional'.  Theirs was more casual.  With the ticket, you were able to redeem one of their deluxe size lip glosses in a nude, pink, or red color—I chose nude because I don't have a nude gloss!  This convention has really allowed me to stock up on products I've been meaning to buy!

A lot of brands ran out of samples to give out; they should have brought a lot more because of the volume of people who attended the show.  I like the brands that gave me samples because it felt like they cared about the what I thought, and wanted me to try their products so that I could like it and become a potential customer!  And it worked—a lot of things I tried has made me fall in love with the brands, plus it just makes me think better about the company when they were happy enough to give me a product to try.

3. Organization & Staff
I watched videos about people saying that the earlier generation beauty conventions were very disorganized, but I guess they worked out the kinks and made this a smooth experience!  There was tape on the floors to create "lines" so people knew where to stand, there were tickets with the brands icon so that people could easily redeem stuff etc.  The major brands, with the big lines of course had to have actual dividers so no one would cut, and so the lines wouldn't become disorganized.
The only thing I have to say is that the generation beauty staff at times could be kind of rude, and curt.  The people in charge of organization, and security would get annoyed easily, and were condescending at times.  I get it though—they are dealing with an insane crowd of makeup lovers who are going crazy over free makeup and makeovers!
When I went to the makeup forever line, it was "closed", meaning that no one was allowed on line until it was open again.   So another line formed, made up of crazed people like me who were waiting on the "unofficial" line to get to the "official" line.  Eventually they let some of us in, and my boyfriend and I were the last ones allowed in for that time!  The generation beauty crew then scolded the line I was previously on (before I just made it to the official make up forever line), telling them that they all had to leave and couldn't be lined up there because it was a fire hazard.  She said that they all couldn't just wait around here, and that they had to leave until they opened up the line again.  She wasn't being nice either, but to play the devil's advocate, it must be overwhelming to have to deal with so many people.

4.  Other
There was an ipsy store at the front where they were selling merchandise like mugs, tumblers, tanks, etc.  They only took credit card.  I bought a cute tank, and received a free tote with my purchase!

There was also a create your own makeup bag station.  We were allowed to choose between a grey and tan one, and we could choose either Michelle Phan's design, or (I forget her name)'s design.  I chose Phan's because well, she is my favorite youtuber, and because I genuinely liked her design.  It is a cute little vanity with makeup dispersed around it, and it says "I came, I saw, I contoured".



The swag bags were amazing!  Some things were full sized, others were sample.  I posted pictures below with the stuff from the swag bag, and the stuff I got from redeeming my cards.  I'm in make up heaven!
Day 1
The far left is the stuff I got from the swag bag, and the far right is stuff that I redeemed!

Day 2
The stuff on the far left is from the swag bag, not including the makeup forever bag, and foundation.  Everything else to the right is stuff I got from redeeming my tickets!

I hope this helped you all decide if generation beauty is worth it for you!  I personally had a lot of fun, and enjoyed all the products.  I'm hoping to go back next year!




No comments:

Post a Comment